Thursday, July 28, 2011

Liz Riegle and James Beck





Ages: 31 and 30

Occupation: Assistant Nurse Manager West Florida Hospital and Server Mellow Mushroom Pensacola

First Date:
Our first date was at Olive Garden the day after the cast party for "Rocky Horror" ( I told you he hasn't left my side since that night). It was lunch, laid back and very nerve racking at the same time because James worked there at the time. While we we're eating, and trying to talk and get to know one another, every single person that was working lunch that day came by to say "hi" and, I'm sure, check out who this girl was James had brought to lunch. Like the gentleman that he is, he dropped me back off at the apartment and called that very night to say he had a great time and would like to do it again sometime. And the rest, as they say, is history,

Love Story:
James and I met almost ten years ago while we were both in the theatre department at UWF. I was working on my roommate's senior thesis and James had been roped into playing Rocky in "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" only 2 weeks before opening. I was rounding up audience members to participate in the senior thesis when I came across James practicing with other cast members in the Mainstage Theatre and invited him to sit in on the show. While sitting in the light booth calling the show' I leaned over to my roommate and said, "I'm gonna get that guy". My roommate just shook her head.
A week later on opening night of "Rocky" I was at the show and couldn't help but notice James painted gold and in a tiny gold Speedo running around on stage. At the end of the show I was talking with members of the cast and realized they didn't have a place for an opening night party. I graciously, and with other intentions, offered my apartment for the cast party, making sure that James would be there. He showed up at the party, we talked, all night. He hasn't left my side since that night. We watch Rocky Horror every October to remember how we met, because without that little show we never would have crossed paths. Three years ago we we're both cast in PLT's rendition of "The Rocky Horror Picture Show". At the curtain call after taking our bows, James was introduced and came to the front of the stage. With all our friends, family and a large group of strangers present in the audience, he got down on one knee and proposed. He had planned the whole thing and I was, of course, totally surprised. Since our whole relationship has been part of live theatre and in front of an audience, it only makes sense that our wedding should be too.

1 comment:

Meagan {Green Motherhood} said...

Yay! to Lizzie and James. Ya'll are such blessings in our lives, we love you so much. Crossing our fingers and toes for an October wedding (I mean, it's about time?!) Love ya'll!